My beloved followers...be one of them!

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Exclusive: Interview.With.Fashion.Designer.Katie.Gallagher


Katie Gallagher. She currently lives in New York City, although she was raised in Pensylvania. She is only 24 years old but she's already caught the attention of NYC fashion world with her unique designs. She graduated two years ago from Rhode Island School of Design (RISD) and has already won an intership at Anna Sui! One of her early designs that she did while studying at RISD was a dress made of metal springs that that actually ended up being pulled for Lady Gaga and Daphne Guiness!


She has a magnificent super blonde color hair with a touch of gray and she likes to put lines on her eyes since she was 16. Looking at her, she seems like a dark and mysterious personality. And I think this characteristic is depicted on her collections, too. Maybe, this is what makes Katie so special and charming at the same time. She is keen on wearing black, but black and gray seem to be her favorite colors when designing too. Her clothes tend to be futuristic with a strong structure and a lot of layering.


As I love Katie's unique style and designing talent, I got in touch with her and she was kind enough to answer to some of  my questions on fashion, designing e.tc.


* I know that you like to paint landscapes before starting to design your collections..or so I heard. Do you consider yourself more of a fashion designer or of an artist in general? Or maybe is it both?
I'd like to believe that it is (or can be) a combination of both worlds.


* Where do you draw inspiration from for your designs?

Nothing too specific. Ideally, like to try to keep within my own.



* Tell me a little about your S/S 2011 Collection. What is it all about?
I titled my SS11 collection Arena. It was inspired by sports and the performance clothing involved; Running specifically. I have been a runner since I was twelve and wanted to incorporate this ritual of mine for spring/summer. Arena is also a lot about the introduction of bold color to the line which was a first for me.






*  Why do you prefer to work with  basic colors such as black, white and gray  most of the times?

I have always been drawn to a monchromatic palette. I prefer drawing in fine black line on white paper or painting in monchrome and since I draw everything before I create it; I guess this just transfers right into clothing I create. Besides, everyone looks better in black.









* How far do your plans go? Any specific goal for the future?

I'd like to keep creating collections season to season and watch it all grow organically.


Katie on Herself:

"I LIVE IN NEW YORK, BUT I WAS BORN BETWEEN A FARM AND A FOREST SOMEWHERE IN THE UNITED STATES. WHEN I WAS YOUNG, I HATED WEARING CLOTHES, BUT I ALWAYS WORE MY CAT THOMAS ON MY HEAD. I GRADUATED FROM THE RHODE ISLAND SCHOOL OF DESIGN, AND HAVE BEEN WORKING ON MY OWN SINCE. I DON'T BELIEVE THAT FASHION IS THE END GOAL; STORIES, PERSONALITIES, MOODS, IDEALS, AND ATTITUDES ARE. FASHION, WHEN EXECUTED SUCCESSFULLY, COMMUNICATES THESE ATTRIBUTES QUICKLY AND ELOQUENTLY."
source: katiegallagher.com

This is Katie's S/S 2011 Arena Collection














So many thanks to Katie Gallagher for being so kind and generous with me. I am hoping for a bright future ahead on global fashion world!

You can see more of Katie Gallagher at www.katiegallagher.com




Interview by LaFashionelle (please credit by linking back, when copying)

2 comments:

Leila said...

Great interview! And what a creative collection


x FashionFifth

chloe said...

wow, so interesting! and she has an amazing look too x

LaFashionelle chooses...

Shop Nasty Gal

About Me

My photo
From fashion inspirations to styling and everything in between...

Advertise on LaFashionelle

If you are interested in advertising on LaFashionelle via banners, or becoming a sponsor, or even promoting your giveaway then send your email at : cravingff@gmail.com Open to new creative ideas!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews